Coronavirus: All You Need to Know About the Do’s and Don’ts
In order to keep the coronavirus COVID-19 in the bay, you will need to follow some important tips. Here’s what you need to do to stop. Read on to learn more about it, and remain safe.
Coronavirus (CoV) is a wide family of viruses that can contribute to respiratory diseases, ranging from common colds to more serious diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Extreme Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). Likewise, earlier this year, a new strain of coronavirus was discovered that had not been previously detected in human beings, also known as the novel coronavirus (nCov). Were you sure of that? COVID-19 is a virus that causes respiratory diseases and can lead to pneumonia in severe cases.
Symptoms of coronavirus
When one has symptoms such as respiratory symptoms, fever, cough or shortness of breath, he or she may suffer from coronavirus. More serious cases of COVID-19 can cause pneumonia and serious acute respiratory syndrome. These symptoms can be especially dangerous for elderly patients or people with chronic health conditions. Don’t hesitate to see these signs when it comes to your loved ones or yourself.
Follow these dos and don’ts
1. Social distancing is an effective public health measure that can help avoid coronavirus transmission by staying away from crowds, large gatherings such as marriages, festivals, conferences and parties. Seek to keep the distance from the people.
2. Do maintain good personal hygiene. Stick to a proper handwashing technique. You must wet your hands and apply soap. Then, lather your hands by rubbing them together with the help of soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers and even, don’t forget your nails. Scrub and rinse your hands and dry them with a clean towel.
3. Cover the mouth when coughing and sneezing or wear a mask.
4. Avoid contact with someone who has a cold or a cough.
5. If you have a fever, cough, cold or breathlessness, stop traveling and contact your doctor immediately.
6. SARS coronavirus (SARS) is a viral respiratory disease caused by a coronavirus called SARS-associated coronavirus (SARS-CoV) – at a temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) appears to last 2 days on steel, 4 days on wood and glass, 5 days on metal, plastic and ceramics. The virus lasts up to 96 hours at room temperature on the smartphone and wall screen for 36 hours. Alcohol wipes should be sued to clean the glass of your camera. Turn your phone off and clean it with a microfiber cloth. Make sure you clean all surfaces and objects.
7. Wash your hands before cooking, eating, using a washroom or blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
8. Do not panic at the same time follow the above points
9. Do not spread false information about covid19 via social media
10. Follow WHO / CDC / INDIAN HEALTH MINISTRY for credible information and updates
Article by Dr. Kedar Toraskar, head Intensivist, Wockhardt Hospital, South Bombay